International Competition for Library; SONGDO International City, S. Korea
©Korea Institute of Architects
Announcement: November 25, 2020
Registration: Nov. 25(Wed) ~ Dec. 31(Thur), 2020
Entry Submission: February 22, 2021
Main Jury: February 26-27, 2021
Result Announcement: Mar. 2 (Tue), 2021
Background of Competition:
1)The target is this design competition 「The Library of SONGDO International City」 is a key indicator to carry out the purpose of Incheon-city which orients ‘An International City of Northeast Asia to the World’ and is an important challenge to expand the cultural infrastructure of the local residents.
2) Incheon Metropolitan City is the purpose of the 「Happy & Plentiful Culture Incheon with Citizens」 that orients ‘the city close to culture spaces’ through boosting culture spaces, for this, a public library is an essential tool to tighten the culture approach of citizens as the key infrastructure facilities of a living SOC which the government is promoting.
3)This library has upgraded its role as the place of information communication for the citizens and has the publicity as a central library of Incheon that orients the public platform for the people-focused community based on culture and art functions.0
1) This design competition aims to obtain creative and sophisticated design works with an international sense to establish 「The Library of SONGDO International City」 as an intellectual and cultural symbol of the Songdo citizens for progressing as an international city.
2) The purpose is to re-organize to be an sustainable culture space with publicity as well as a local identification, and not just an independent structure, that is based on creative ideas for a spatial challenge as its location feature and as a library through understanding the urban and architectural context of IFEZ(Incheon Free Economic Zone) Songdo International City.
John Enright USA, Griffin Enright Architects, Principal
Louis Becker Denmark, Henning Larsen, Partner & Design, Principal
Robert Greenwood UK, Snohetta Partner
Lim, Jae Y. Korea, OCA (Office of Contemporary Architecture), Principal
Lee, Eun-Seok Korea, Kyunghee University Professor
Lim, Jong Yup, Preliminary Jury, Korea, Inha University Professor
5 winning proposals will be selected.
Competition winners will be awarded as follows:
1)1st Prize: Design Development and Construction Document priority rights (1,546 million KRW (1.288 million us dollars/ 1 us dollar=1,200 KRW))
2)2nd Prize (1 entry): 50 million KRW (41,667 us dollars/ 1=1,200 KRW))
3)3rd Prize (1 entry): 30million KRW (25,000 us dollars/ 1=1,200 KRW
4) 4th Prize (2 entries): 10million KRW (8,333 us dollars/ 1=1,200 KRW
5) Honorary Mentions (within 10 entries): Awards