© Francis Dzikowski/OTTO
KNOW MORE ABOUT THE DESIGNERS:
This project is a triplex for a young couple who travel extensively for business and wanted the feeling of a quiet sanctuary for their new home.
They partnered with BDDW to provide furnishings throughout the house. The existing building is a relatively compact Anglo-Italianate townhouse circa 1860, and a three-story extension was added to expand the living space.
The house’s signature arched doorway and front window were the inspiration for much of the detailing for the renovated spaces. Arched openings connect the dining space to the foyer as well as to the kitchen through a butler’s pantry. The generous kitchen spans the entire width of the house and is designed for socializing while cooking, with a large central marble island and extensive countertop space. The ceilings were raised on the parlor floor to visually and spatially open out the space toward the rear yard, which is framed by a full wall of steel doors and accessed from a rear deck. The centerpiece of the living room is a plaster fluted fireplace surround.